Simi Valley, California, is a popular filming location for TV shows and movies due to its diverse landscapes. Over the years, the city has served as the backdrop for many memorable productions. Here are some of the top shows and movies filmed in Simi Valley that you might recognize.
- “Little House on the Prairie” – One of the most beloved television shows, Little House ran from 1974 to 1983, and was partially filmed in Simi Valley, California. The show, based on the classic book series by Laura Ingalls Wilder, follows the life of a frontier family in the late 1800s. Simi Valley provided the perfect backdrop for the show’s outdoor scenes, with its rolling hills, grassy fields, and open spaces. Many of the show’s memorable scenes, such as the family’s travels across the prairie, were filmed in the area.
- “Captain America: The First Avenger” was partially filmed in Simi Valley, California. The production team utilized the landscapes of Simi Valley to bring the iconic superhero to life. Several key scenes, including those showcasing the World War II era and the transformation of Steve Rogers into Captain America, were shot on location in Simi Valley.
- “Everything Everywhere All at Once” – The “IRS building” where Evelyn has an appointment with Deirdre Beaubeirdre (played by Jamie Lee Curtis) in this film is located about 20 miles to the west in Simi Valley. You can find the building’s exterior at 400 National Way off the Ronald Reagan Freeway (Route 118), although it may look slightly smaller than in the film as extra stories were added to the building using an old-school matte painting technique, making it a textbook example of low-budget filmmaking.
- “The West Wing” – This political drama, which ran from 1999 to 2006, was partly filmed in Simi Valley. The city served as a stand-in for Washington D.C. in many episodes, including the famous “walking and talking” scenes that are a staple of the show.
- “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood” is a critically acclaimed film by Quentin Tarantino that was released in 2019. The movie is set in the late 1960s and features an all-star cast, including Leonardo DiCaprio, Brad Pitt, and Margot Robbie. One of the filming locations for the movie was Simi Valley, chosen as a location for several scenes because of its resemblance to Los Angeles in the 1960s. The city’s historic town center, the Simi Valley Courthouse, and its surrounding streets and neighborhoods were transformed to recreate the atmosphere of that era.
- “Men in Black” – The iconic sci-fi comedy film, was partially filmed in Simi Valley, California. Simi Valley created an otherworldly atmosphere for the film’s setting. Several key scenes, including those showcasing the secret headquarters of the Men in Black organization, were filmed on location in Simi Valley, adding to the film’s authenticity and immersiveness.
- “The Big Lebowski” – This cult classic film, released in 1998, was partially shot in Simi Valley. The city was used to depict the Los Angeles suburb of Torrance, where the movie’s protagonist, “The Dude,” lives.
- “Mayans MC” is a popular TV series that premiered in 2018 and is a spinoff of the hit series “Sons of Anarchy”. The show takes place in a fictional town on the California-Mexico border, and Simi Valley’s picturesque countryside, including its rolling hills and winding roads, were used to depict the rugged terrain of the California-Mexico border. Additionally, the city’s urban areas and industrial complexes were used to portray the show’s gritty, underground world.
- “CSI: Miami” – This popular crime drama series, which ran from 2002 to 2012, filmed several scenes in Simi Valley. The city’s suburban streets and neighborhoods were used to represent Miami’s urban landscape.
- “Desperate Housewives” – This hit drama series, which ran from 2004 to 2012, filmed several scenes in Simi Valley. The city’s suburban streets were used as the backdrop for the fictional Wisteria Lane, where the main characters lived.
- “Californication” – This dark comedy-drama series, which ran from 2007 to 2014, filmed several scenes in Simi Valley. The city’s suburban neighborhoods and parks were used to depict various locations in Los Angeles, including the protagonist’s home.
- “NCIS” – This popular crime drama series filmed several scenes in Simi Valley, using the city’s parks, streets, and suburban neighborhoods to represent various locations in the Los Angeles area.
These are just a few of the top shows and movies filmed in Simi Valley over the years. Whether you’re a fan of political dramas, cult classic films, crime dramas, or suburban comedies, there’s a good chance you’ve seen Simi Valley on the big or small screen. The city’s diverse landscapes and suburban neighborhoods have proven to be a popular and versatile filming location for filmmakers, and it’s likely that we’ll continue to see more productions filmed here in the future.